When I first saw this beautiful Tea Pot Chandelier on Must Have Cute, I knew I wanted one for my Alice in Wonderland birthday party. But trying to track it down (I think I found one on Etsy somewhere), I found it was WAY out of my price budget. (I think it was several HUNDRED dollars...sigh.)
So I decided to try and make my own. I admit I had no idea what I was doing when I started...and still am not sure it's done and "perfect." (I keep it hanging in my living room to look at and try to figure out what else it needs.)
But what do you think?
I think it still needs some bling..so you might see a few changes when the party photos show up. But this is the basic chandelier...and it was pretty easy to make over all.
To make this, I found a basic chandelier at Goodwill for $3.99. I have also been scouting there and at local garage sales for tea pots, cups, and saucers. I have found a few, although not near as many as I would like (sorry..side frustrated note there.)
My husband helped me to cut out the wiring and I dis-assembled it.
Then I painted all the pieces different bright pastel colors. I also painted 5 white teacups in matching colors to fit on each of the arms.
(I did decide I hated the orange and purple one...so I repainted it in a flower design instead of stripes.) I think painting the cups was the hardest part because I couldn't decide on a cute random fun pattern.
I used a 1/2 inch glass tile drill bit to drill holes in the bottom of my tea cups so they would fit on the arms. If you are a newby to this type of drilling, be careful doing this. Go very slow and use eye protection. It's also REALLY helpful for you to get a mask to keep yourself from inhaling the glass powder. (Yea, I was didn't...total hypocrite.)
I also found out the hard way to make sure you drill your cups and pot after you paint them. Or be sure to wipe down the ceramic VERY good to make sure you get all the powder off so it doesn't make the paint job all "bumpy."
I wanted to use saucers under my tea cups, but no matter what I did, they kept breaking. I don't know if it was the thickness, the material, or what...but it didn't work. I finally just cut circles out of that thick poster board type stuff (can't remember it's name...but I will go find out and post soon) and spray painted them. I cut holes in the center and placed them below the tea cups.
I used E6000 glue to glue the faux saucer to the bottom of my tea cup and then the tea cup to the chandelier. Each of my chandelier arms had a little notch that fit perfectly inside the bottom of the tea cup. I then put a bunch of glue inside the bottom around and in the hole to secure it.
I replaced the big metal ball in my chandelier with a tea pot. I was lucky to find a tea pot that fit just perfectly to allow me to do that. It was pretty 70s looking at first, so I painted it pink to match the color scheme and added some silver swirly stickers that I purchase in a pack from the scrapbook area at Walmart.
I'm really pretty happy with it so far, but sitting in my living room looking at it...this chandelier might even get a little more glam before the big day!